By the age of twenty-five, everyone, as a rule, has a specialized education, work, many – a family. Quite good achievements for this age, but – are you ready to live in the same rhythm all your life? Are you satisfied with your profession and position, health status, your character, or do you want to change something in life and do not know where to start? We have already discussed a lot in the article “ How to get smarter” ; today we’ll talk about how to work on to change yourself, step by step, day after day.
You want to change yourself. Where to begin?
There is a very slow way to change consciousness in order to live a better life. It requires minimal effort. The method is so simple that it suits literally everyone. Its big fan and distributor is Belle Beth Cooper, co-founder of the Exist platform. Using the slow method of change, Belle was able to achieve excellent results in just a year:
- practicing French for 5 minutes a day, she learned to speak, write and read well (how many years did you study a foreign language at school, did you like the result?);
- reading 1 page a day (isn’t it really a lot?), she was able to read 5 times more books in a year than before.
- She also started running in the morning and waking up earlier. Surely by the time the article was published, Belle had managed to improve something else in her life.
How to change yourself? Move a little bit!
Each habit requires a tiny but daily effort. James Clear, whose blog is dedicated to self-development, argues that in the beginning, you should focus on the regularity of the habit, and when it is well established, increase the duration and hone the effectiveness. In other words, if you start jogging in the morning, spend 10 minutes jogging – but strictly every day. There will be marathons, but later.
Belle Beth Cooper is sure: it is easier to maintain a habit if it does not require extra effort. If you train yourself to read before bed, keep a book on your bedside table so you don’t have to get up for it. If you are learning languages using the mobile app, keep your smartphone close at hand. Your brain will not have time to find excuses for laziness, and you will have no choice but to work.
How to force yourself to change? Link a new habit with an old one
Every day, without thinking, we perform the same actions at about the same time. We wake up, wash, have breakfast, get ready for work, etc. Belle linked her five-minute French lesson to her morning coffee, and her evening reading to her bedside habit. Studies have shown that these “bundles” help to more easily fix the habit and ensure its fulfillment in the future.
One change at a time
Accustom yourself to only one habit at a time, do not try to instill two or three in parallel. Already added dental floss to your dental care? Great, you can introduce a new change.
It is believed that 21 days is enough to instill any habit. But this rule does not work for everyone and not in all situations. It may take you more time to get up an hour earlier, but don’t despair: this is normal.
What can you change in yourself
Have you already figured out your goals and roughly know how you need to change yourself and your life in order to achieve them? Great 🙂 If there are no important goals on the horizon yet, and you still get the itch of change, you can use the following plan. Gradually introduce each point, you can start from any, even from the middle, even from the end:
- Reduce the time you spend on social media, surfing the Internet, and TV. Leave the messenger to communicate with friends, and the agent program for e-mail.
- Understand yourself. Do in life what you personally like, not your mother, wife or neighbor. Don’t expect instant results: finding yourself is not a quick process, sometimes it takes tens of years.
- Start a regular diary or blog on LJ or Blogspot and write whatever you want there. Daytime impressions, life plans, thoughts, etc. It doesn’t matter that you sometimes find it difficult to find the words: writing comes with experience.
- Don’t clog your body. Eat good, quality food, with less alcohol, cigarettes, sugar, and other junk.
- Learn languages. First of all, learn English if you don’t already know it. This is the language of international communication, the best minds of this world speak it.
- Read books. There is no time to read at all or poor eyesight – listen to audiobooks. A sample list of topics: professional literature, personal growth, biographies of people you admire, good fiction.
- Spend every weekend well: go to a gallery or museum, play sports, attend a concert, a good movie or play, visit your relatives. Impressions will make your life brighter and richer, and you will become a little wiser.
- Write down your goals and plans. It is clear and understandable, it is even desirable to record what you must do to achieve them. It’s always easier to change your life and do something if you see WHAT this is all about.
- Learn blind typing. You learned in the first or second grade while writing to think not about letters, but about what you write? Nowadays, not being able to type blindly is the same as not being able to write before.
- Write down all the things you still haven’t done, whether it’s going to the dentist, repairing a computer, making large purchases, unloading a cabinet, etc. If they are already out of date, forget about them; necessary and important, either do it or entrust it to someone. Your life will become easier.
- Stop reading the news. Everyone around them is already talking about them, don’t waste time on this.
- Get up early. Paradox: in the morning we usually have more time. In addition, if you go in for sports and eat well, seven hours a day is enough for a good sleep.
- Surround yourself with good, decent, positive people. Connect with those you respect and who would like to learn something new from. If possible, try to avoid negative and sad people.
- If life confronts you with a professional in any field, talk to him. Talk about how it works and how it works. Some people deliberately create such “clashes”: they are looking for professionals in social networks, communicate with them and try to call them into a face-to-face conversation. Often the invitation is accepted: these people are not flattering, but in fact admire their business and professional qualities.
- Travel. Not necessarily to overseas countries, in the vicinity of your own city you can find a lot of interesting things. And in order not to go at random, study the tourist guide, the city portal and the city’s page on social networks (for this purpose, okay, you can use them).
- Learn a new hobby. Take pictures, sculpt, paint. You will see the world in a completely different way.
- Go in for sports. Yoga, swimming, cycling, any cardio exercise are a source of endorphins and good mood. Not to mention the fact that you will start to like yourself in the mirror. There is no gym nearby – go up to the floor every day without an elevator, even this minimum is enough for health.
- Invest money and control costs. You can keep track of income and expenses in the CashFly program or in the excel plate. It doesn’t hurt to have some finances for a rainy day, and if you are not planning major purchases, set aside money at least for a future vacation. The general investment principle is at least 10% of income. This is a small amount and you are unlikely to feel any inconvenience.
- Throw away the excess: something that you have not used for a long time and are unlikely to use, something that does not bring joy or benefit. Get rid of the trash in your head, home and life. Change your mind to live better. Get light and move forward.