The negotiation process is an obligatory attribute of business life. Every day, hundreds of thousands of transactions are made, contracts are signed, many of which are the result of a long search for compromises. It takes a certain skill and communication skills to always win and be on top. You can achieve success and get the greatest benefit for yourself by mastering psychological techniques. In this article I will talk about a popular win win negotiation strategy, what it is , how to apply it in the world of business and everyday life.
The Meaning of Win Win Negotiation Strategy
To understand the essence of the method, the first step is to contact a translator. From English, the word Win is interpreted as “to gain the upper hand”, “to win”, “to win”, “to conquer” or “to get your way.” This phrase can be interpreted as a mutual benefit or a win-win option.
Modern business sharks have long come to the conclusion that getting rid of competitors is not as effective as mutually beneficial cooperation, or rather, using partners for personal interests. In such situations, as a rule, the other side also remains not deprived and gets its share of the winnings in this “lottery”. Thanks to this approach, you can not only dramatically improve interaction, but also profit from a successful partnership.
The technique got its start back in the 50s of the last century, when the famous American mathematician D. Nash published his scientific work. The story of games with a nonzero system, where it was proved using a mathematical model that all participants in the interaction either win or fail, became revolutionary. The next person to develop this theory was S. Covey. This talented man published a book in 1989, where he described in detail the principle of win-win. The printed edition later appeared in our language and still has not lost its relevance.
This strategy is based on effective interdependence and fruitful cooperation. In the negotiation business, the interests of each of the parties are taken into account, as a result of which a common solution is found, in which all participants remain in the black. Using this technique in practice, you can turn potential competitors into close partners. The technique is universal, therefore it can be used not only in the business world, but also in everyday life – in relations with family, friends, colleagues.
Why Compromise is Worse Than Cooperation?
When interests collide, “making concessions” to each other is not the best way to get out of the situation. Of course, you can sacrifice something when looking for an alternative, but there is a feeling of disappointment, injustice and dissatisfaction.
It is necessary to focus not on “squeezing” your ambitions, but on the contrary – to try to be creative, as flexible as possible and benefit both for yourself and leave the second person in the black. Applying the principle of a win-win strategy is ideal. It is especially relevant in business relations, because long-term cooperation is much more effective than long-term confrontation. Giving all the time and not taking anything back, you can quickly become devastated both financially and mentally.
How Win Win Negotiation Strategy Works in Everyday Life?
The theory of mutual benefit can be applied not only in the business sphere, but also in real life situations. Let’s consider a few of the most striking examples:
- Family ties are full of contradictions – the spouse wants to go out (cinema, an exhibition of artists), and the husband, on the contrary, lacks unity with nature – he is more impressed by fishing, hunting. She wants to watch the series, and he wants to watch football, etc. Here it is important to understand whether theatrical performance or sports on TV is worth the destroyed nerves, lost in the struggle for righteousness. The one who yields as a result will be the winner.
- A client wishing to receive services has a clearly limited estimate, beyond which he cannot go. It turns out to be much lower than the figure that the performer expected. As it may seem, the deal will never go through. However, this is not always the correct judgment. You can find levers of contact. For example, the latter is in dire need of a rented space, while the latter can provide him with such an opportunity by closing the financial hole.
- After an unsuccessful union and divorce, the parents suddenly remembered the child and began to mercilessly fight for his love, constantly playing on the baby’s feelings, putting him before a choice. As a result, the child’s psyche can not stand it and a nervous breakdown is observed. The fight for laurels resulted in defeat.
The workforce in the company is constantly waging internecine “wars” for wages, prying each other, creating unpleasant moments. It is psychologically difficult to work effectively in such an atmosphere, which directly affects the profitability of the enterprise. Finding a way out is quite simple: you need to create a method of wages, without a “ceiling”. The more productive you are, the higher the salary – the win-win model is obvious.
The technique of mutually beneficial partnership allows companies to build a scheme of successful joint development for decades to come. One of the striking examples is the merger of two small corporations HP and Compaq at the time into one organization. As a result, the merger made it possible to gain a leading position in the international computer hardware market. At the same time, the company retained and even increased all the commercial ties of its members. That is, no one has lost anything, but remained in the black.
Essentials for Applying the Win Win Negotiation Strategy
To successfully practice this principle, it is important to have some skills, namely:
- Stick to a sufficiency mentality. According to this theory, there is enough on the planet for everyone. A person who views life through such a prism wants to share benefits and recognition.
- To be a whole, harmonious person.
- Listen carefully. The opponent must clearly understand that the information coming from him gets to the address.
- Being mature is a fine line between courage and sensitivity. Such a person can defend his point of view, but at the same time he is understanding about other people’s interests.
Implementation Stages of Win Win Negotiation Strategy
It is important to think through the situation to the smallest detail, and this requires going through several successive stages:
- The first step is to understand whether it is generally possible to use the philosophy of “win-win” in any form in a particular case. For example, it will be inappropriate if the opposing person is aggressive and does not want to give in. Here the outcome will most often turn in the win-lose direction.
- The second step is to show your opponent the benefits of cooperation. It is not easy to do this due to the fact that people only talk about their interests, forgetting to mention the total gain.
- At the finish line, you need to decide which route to follow. To do this, you need to clearly clarify to the partner where he will lose and where he will gain.
Many people just trying to put this business tactic into practice make one common oversight. They make concessions in every possible way in the hope of quickly reaching a compromise. Such personalities will face a sad result, completely opposite to what was expected. A compromise solution is the deprivation of benefits from each side.
The “win-win” position will be more effective, as it will give an impetus to development in the long term. Of course, this method is quite labor-intensive (negotiations will take a long time, you will need to show understanding, respect, watch your words and behavior), but the outcome will be successful.
Preparing for Win Win Negotiation
In the age of information technology, people very often intersect, especially in the field of business. The majority of companies’ profits come from regular customers. Therefore, each negotiation process must be perceived as an important element in an endless chain of relationships. To be always “on horseback”, and the partners were satisfied, you need to prepare for meetings in advance. You need to be “savvy” in a number of issues:
- What do you want to get as a result of negotiations?
- What can your opponent want?
- Is there any other way out if an agreement does not work out?
- Will the other side offer their own options, what is acceptable in them and what is unacceptable?
- When will agreements become unprofitable for you?
- How will failure affect your performance?
- What conditions will the partner accept and what will he refuse?
These and other scenarios should be worked out in your head before each negotiation. This will make them more effective.
How to Conduct a Dialogue Correctly?
First of all, win win negotiation technique implies universal respect for the participants. It is easier to show it, especially in difficult moments, if you adhere to the following algorithm:
- greeting (sincere recommended);
- voicing existing problems;
- putting forward their conditions for their solution;
- listening to the opponent;
- joint search for points of contact;
- coming to a common denominator.
It is important in the negotiation process to always think about the success of the tandem, and not just about your personal. This is a mandatory factor affecting the outcome of an event. If the conversation does not work out or leads to someone’s defeat, then it is necessary to show diplomacy and focus on meeting common needs.
When one of the parties is disingenuous and pursues only its own interests, the probability of success from dialogue is reduced to zero. You need to feel the line that you shouldn’t cross.
How to Create the Right Atmosphere for Negotiations?
A cozy environment is a major component of a conversation during which both persons experience stress. It is advisable to apply the following:
- constantly point out to the opponent that the benefits are common;
- show respect and understanding;
- try to communicate in a friendly manner;
- do not forget about the technique of active listening;
- give examples from life;
- humor is welcome, but in the subject.
You may also like to read: Secrets of Customer Service and Simple Human Communication
In the business world, the “win-win” position is the case when all participants are always in the black. Moreover, the latter should be of equal value. Otherwise, the potential client will go to a competitor who will give him more promising benefits. That is why it is necessary to constantly monitor the market for similar products, analyze the data obtained and improve.
If you like this post, please share it to your friends and social community. You may follow us on social media Twitter, Facebook or Telegram Channel to stay updated and read the more articles like this.